The original course was built on part of the Hewell Grange Estate, owned by Viscount Windsor. In November 1893 five prosperous residents of Blackwell commissioned (for £1.5s.0d) C W Cunningham, a local golf professional to plan the original 9 hole layout that measured 2,056 yards. Viscount Windsor (soon to be Earl of Plymouth) allowed sand bunkers on the course in 1905 and in 1912, the highly reputed Harry Colt was asked to re-design the course and this added another 1,000 yards.
After completing a lease, and then later a purchase agreement, of 102 acres in 1923, the Club appointed Herbert Fowler and Tom Simpson to design the 18 holes that exist today. What Fowler and Simpson achieved at Blackwell on a relatively small acreage is a tribute to their skills and one of only 7 in the UK in which they collaborated.
During the inter war period Blackwell staged challenge matches involving Walter Hagen and the peerless amateur Bobby Jones. Hagen’s appearance fee was the money taken at the gate and when he won the Open Championship for the first time in 1922 he gave all of his prize money to his caddy.
Bobby Jones played at Blackwell in 1930, a promise Bobby Jones made to Dr Bill Tweddell at the 1928 Walker Cup (they were opposing Captains) held at Chicago GC, the day after Jones won the 1930 Open at Hoylake. He loved the course, particularly the 13th hole, and later used this as a blueprint for the famous 12th at Augusta.
In 1950 The Wigorns Golf Society was formed by prominent Blackwell members and to this day is based at Blackwell.
Alf Padgham, the son of a former Blackwell professional, won the Open Championship in 1936.
Despite a small membership Blackwell boasts 3 English Amateur Champions. Stanley Lunt was invited to be an honorary life member in recognition of his victory in the 1934 English amateur championship. His son Michael was honoured for winning in 1963. Terry Shingler became English amateur champion in 1977.
Blackwell has been ranked in the top 100 UK courses for a number of years and has hosted the Open Championship Regional Qualifying Event 6 times and was home to the Midland Boys Championship for many years, won one year by a 14 year old Sandy Lyle.
Some of Blackwell’s finest lady golfers through the ages have been notable competitors at county and national level and their strong links prevail with the County today. A number of trophy competitions are still played for bearing the names of ‘Blackwell Ladies’ namely, the Dorothy Smedley-Crook Championship Salver, the Vida Kirk Trophy, the Veronica Wootten Salver, the Elsie Allen Salver and the Fiona Lunt Salver.